Ashleigh, who recently won the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Montréal, trains with the Australian Institute of Sport and the Queensland Academy of Sport. In 2004, a family friend persuaded her to take up triathlon. Initially, this was to improve her running times, but she soon found that she enjoyed the swimming and cycling too. She won silver at the Junior World Championships in Hamburg in 2007 and Vancouver in 2008 before winning in Budapest in 2010. In 2011, she ran in her first ITU World Triathlon Series (WTS) event, and was placed ninth.
In 2012 and 2013, she ran in ten WTS events, and was placed in the top ten in all of them. Being coached by Cliff English since 2014, she won silver in Yokohama in 2015 and 2016, and in Abu Dhabi in 2016. By May 2016, she was ranked third in the world and in the same year, the Australian Olympic Committee announced Gentle’s selection as one of six triathletes who would represent Australia at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, her first Olympics, where she placed 26th. Most recently she won the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Montréal and took second place at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Hamburg.
- 6th place at the 2017 Rotterdam World Triathlon Series Grand Final;
- Winner at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Montréal;
- 2nd place at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Hamburg;
- 8th place at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Leeds;
- 6th place at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Yokohama;
- 2nd place at the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Gold Coast;
- 2nd place at the 2017 Mooloolaba ITU Triathlon World Cup;
- 26th place at 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games; and
- 10th place at the 2016 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Cozumel.
52018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 05 Apr, 2018 - Elite Women - 00:58:08
132018 ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi 02 Mar, 2018 - Elite Women - 01:02:07
62017 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Rotterdam 14 Sep, 2017 - Elite Women - 02:02:00
32017 ITU World Triathlon Stockholm 26 Aug, 2017 - Elite Women - 02:01:42
12017 ITU World Triathlon Montréal 05 Aug, 2017 - Elite Women - 01:59:04