Richard Murray won the Junior Duathlon World Championships in 2007 and 2008 and the U23 African Championships in both triathlon and duathlon in 2010, firmly establishing himself as a name to watch. Then, in 2012, Richard scored his first WTS win in Hamburg and went on to podium twice more that same season.
During 2016, after winning the World Cup series race in New Zealand and finishing second at WTS Abu Dhabi, Richard broke his collarbone during the WTS Gold Coast race. After three months out, Richard came back to win the Duathlon World Championships, the Island House Invitational and finish 4th at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Ranked in the top five triathletes globally for the past five years, Richard finished fourth overall in the 2018 WTS standings, thanks in part to a superb first Olympic-distance World Series win in Leeds and third-placed finishes at WTS Hamburg and the Gold Coast Grand Final. The South African’s goal is now to win the World Triathlon Series and the gold at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
- 3rd place at the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Gold Coast
- 4th place at the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Montreal
- 3rd place at the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Hamburg
- 1st place at the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Leeds
- Winner of the 2018 Cape Town ITU Triathlon World Cup
- Winner of the 2018 Mooloolaba ITU Triathlon World Cup
- 4th place at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games
172019 AJ Bell World Triathlon Leeds 08 Jun, 2019 - Elite Men - 01:46:40
232019 Madrid ITU Triathlon World Cup 04 May, 2019 - Elite Men - 00:56:51
242019 Daman World Triathlon Abu Dhabi 08 Mar, 2019 - Elite Men - 00:53:01
32018 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Gold Coast 12 Sep, 2018 - Elite Men - 01:44:56
42018 ITU World Triathlon Montreal 25 Aug, 2018 - Elite Men - 01:48:36